Welcome to my blog! Check out the "view by label" section in the sidebar to see what kinds of things I write about.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A beautiful moment brought to you by Disney

The Torkelsons was one of my favorite shows as a kid, and Dorothy Jane was one of my heroes. I still consider her to be one of my favorite fictional characters. The Torkelsons was a fantastic show. It was funny, touching, and even profound. One of its most insightful moments was Dorothy Jane's opening monologue in episode 9, "Return to Sender." You won't find this kind of speech on TV any more. It's very beautiful and I encourage you to read it. You can also watch the clip below.


"Man in the moon, there was a point of discussion at our dinner table tonight about why I talk to you all the time and if I am insane to do so. My brother Steven Floyd was the leading proponent of the lunatic scenario, but my little sister Mary Sue understood completely, having frequently engaged in conversations with her doll Martha Lou and her other assorted imaginary friends. My younger brother Chuckie Lee defended me with no good reason because he has always taken my side and he has always loved me.

But my remaining sister Ruth Ann Torkelson, who has never before exhibited any flash of recognizable brilliance, tonight stopped the conversation cold when she said that my talking to you was actually prayer, and that I sit in my window and talk to God using the man in the moon as a front.

Well, after giving this very careful consideration, it scares me to think that I could have so casual a relationship with God as I do with you. Because when I do consciously pray I'm always a little bit more formal, which I'm not when I tell you my feelings. But if God is so inclined to listen in because he knows I'm actually trying to pray to him, then I hope he will forgive me for being so foolish as to not realize who I'm talking to.

...Amen."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I used to watch this show as a kid and I loved it. I was so pleased to see this clip when I found it on Youtube and was equally astonished that Disney of all programs would have this on their shows.

It goes to show you, not only does television... mainly children's shows take away some sexual innuendos they refrained from doing 20 years ago, which I'm actually quite thankful for, but they can also take away things that could be beneficial to you, while still have ridiculous comedies that have sexual connotations.

I appreciate you posting this, and the entire monologue.

But God does, however, wish for us to be casual with him, just like a good friend, or the Man in the Moon.