Welcome to my blog! Check out the "view by label" section in the sidebar to see what kinds of things I write about.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Living Room / Come Reason

Tonight's Bible study at The Living Room was really good. The teaching was great, as usual, plus Steve Wiggins played some new songs for us. The one that stood out to me the most is called "A Heart That Burns For You." It's a really gorgeous song and I can't wait until I can have it for my ipod. Steve says they're going to play it at church next week, so I'm looking forward to that.

I think that's pretty much all that happened today. I did more job hunting but didn't get much of anywhere. Yesterday I ended up going to Come Reason after all because my dad's online class was cancelled for the week. I ended up getting two free CDs, so I'm extra glad I was able to go. The subject was the resurrection as a fact of history. One of the CDs I got was from last year when he taught on the same subject, so I'll be able to go back over it and take more detailed notes.

In case you're curious, one of the things he talked about were known historical facts surrounding the resurrection and how they are evidence that Jesus really rose from the dead. The five points that he talked about that are agreed upon by most scholars, Christian or not, are these:

1. Jesus died by crucifixion
2. Jesus was buried
3. Jesus' tomb was discovered empty a few days later
4. The disciples all truly believed that they saw the risen Jesus
5. The skeptics James and Paul were suddenly converted after they claimed to have seen the risen Jesus, and they were both so sure of it that they died for their belief.

Lenny recommended a book that talks about these points called The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary Habermas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Dad's class, he sure is enjoying having you involved in it! I am so excited about your desire as an adult to look deeper into what the Bible says, and understanding everything in a deeper way. But I guess we knew that was going to be the case when you gave your heart to Jesus when you were 3-years old, and by the time you were 4 you were telling the Mormon Missionaries who would come to the door, re: the Book of Mormon, "There are LIES in THAT book!" That's our Beth! God was using you for His glory right from the get-go! You are an awesome person for SO many reasons. This is surely one of them! I love you always! Love, Mom!<><

PALOMACATHYBOWMAN